What is NLP – Neuro Linguistic Programming?
NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Neuro refers to your neurology; Linguistic refers to language; programming refers to how that neural language functions. In other words, NLP is about how the language of the mind creates the programs we run in life. When you know this, you can enhance what is working, change what isn’t and create new beneficial programs of emotion, behaviour and thoughts.
How does it work?
- NLP is founded on the idea that people operate by internal “maps” of the world that they learn through sensory experiences.
- NLP tries to detect and modify unconscious biases or limitations of an individual’s map of the world.
- NLP is not hypnotherapy. Instead, it operates through the conscious use of language to bring about changes in someone’s thoughts and behavior.
- For example, a central feature of NLP is the idea that a person is biased towards one sensory system, known as the preferred representational system or PRS.
- Therapists can detect this preference through language. Phrases such as “I see your point” may signal a visual PRS. Or “I hear your point” may signal an auditory PRS.
An NLP practitioner will identify a person’s PRS and base their therapeutic framework around it. The framework could involve rapport-building, information-gathering, and goal-setting with them.
When should I work with a NLP Certified Practitioner?
NLP certified practitioner or a coach can help individuals with challenges large and small in life, whether they are to overcome problems or increase performance:
- Change, adopt or eliminate behaviors as you desire
- Choose your mental, emotional and physical states at any time!
- Communicate more effectively with anyone you meet and even yourself!
- Remove limiting beliefs
- Get the results you want
- Lead the life you want and deserve!
And all that means: Being who you want to be, doing what you want to do, or having what you want to have, either personally or professionally.
NLP is already extremely popular in the business world, with many organisations and consultants utilizing a variety of NLP techniques to get businesses great results and quickly:
- Improve people management and motivational leadership
- Build rapport with employees, customers and suppliers
- Optimize sales using the 5 step sale process
- Apply effective problem solving techniques
- Maximize advanced negotiating and influencing techniques
- Remove limiting beliefs for self and team freeing you to achieve optimum performance
- Set up and run effective action based meetings – maximizing time and results
- Use strategies to maximize buying and selling opportunities
- Communicate effectively to employees, customers and suppliers
- Recruit and plan succession management effectively– get the right person for the right job and at the right time
- Develop presentation skills that really communicate to your audience and put you steps ahead of the competition
NLP offers many key techniques to support sports people in achieving their performance goals and is well recognized throughout the sports world:
- Establishing achievable goals
- Increasing motivation
- Removal of limiting beliefs
- Re-connection with positive internal resources
- Modelling excellence in the field and applying to self for consistent positive results
It is recognized scientifically that there is a mind body connection i.e. our minds affect our bodies, positively and negatively. NLP is a valuable set of techniques to support both those working in the field of health and individuals who want good health for themselves.
For the practitioner:
- More effective communication skills with clients improving diagnosis and treatment.
- Improved business management across all areas
- Broad range of techniques to improve health and well being with clients.
For the individual:
- improve health
- reduce stress
- increase energy
- engage the mind’s ability to heal the body itself
- adoption of beliefs and attitudes to support health and well being
Teachers and trainers can apply NLP in many learning environments to maximize the learning of individuals and groups:
- develop effective presentation skills
- adapt language to individual preferences
- maximize learning strategies
- adapt to individual learning styles and preferences
No service or product is intended to treat any disease or illness, psychological or mental health condition. Any person with an ailment or physical complaint are advised to see their physician first for treatment and make use of these alternate treatments as an adjunct to their medical treatment.