What is Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Tapping Therapy?
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a technique that involves tapping on the body’s energy meridian points to provide relief from chronic pain, emotional problems, disorders, addictions, phobias, post traumatic stress disorder and physical diseases.
This technique goes by a few different names, including Emotional Freedom Technique, EFT Tapping or simply Tapping.
While Tapping is newly set to revolutionize the field of health and wellness, the healing concepts that it’s based upon have been in practice in Eastern medicine for over 5,000 years. Like acupuncture and acupressure, you can stimulate these meridian points by tapping on the energy meridian points with your fingertips – literally tapping into your body’s own energy and healing power.
The EFT premise also includes the understanding that the more unresolved emotional issues you can clear, the more peace and emotional freedom you will have in your life. Limiting beliefs can vanish, personal performance can soar, relationships can thrive, and achieve vibrant physical health !
Your body is more powerful than you can imagine… filled with life, energy, and a compelling ability for self-healing. With Tapping, you can take control of that power.
How does EFT Tapping work?
All negative emotions are felt through a disruption of the body’s energy. And physical pain and disease are intricately connected to negative emotions. Health problems create feedback – physical symptoms cause emotional distress, and unresolved emotional problems manifest themselves through physical symptoms. So, the body’s health must be approached as a whole. You cannot treat the symptoms without addressing the cause, and vice-versa.
The body, like everything in the universe, is composed of energy. Restore balance to the body’s energy, and you will mend the negative emotions and physical symptoms that stem from the energy disruption. Tapping restores the body’s energy balance, and negative emotions are conquered.
The basic technique requires you to focus on the negative emotion at hand: a fear or anxiety, a bad memory, an unresolved problem, or anything that’s bothering you. While maintaining your mental focus on this issue, use your fingertips to tap on the body’s meridian points. Tapping on these meridian points – while concentrating on accepting and resolving the negative emotion – will access your body’s energy, restoring it to a balanced state.
This concept comes from the doctrines of traditional Chinese medicine, which referred to the body’s energy as “ch’i.” They also discovered that by stimulating these meridian points, they could heal. Call it energy, call it life force, call it ch’i… Whatever you want to call it, it works.
However unlike acupuncture, Tapping does not involve the use of needles. Acupuncture also takes years to master. Acupuncture practitioners must memorize hundreds of meridian points along the body; the knowledge and training take years to acquire.
Tapping is simple and painless. It can be learned by anyone, including children. And you can apply it to yourself, whenever you want, wherever you are. It’s less expensive and less time consuming. It can be used towards your own unique life challenges and experiences. Most importantly, it gives you the power to heal yourself, putting control over your destiny back into your own hands.
The Science of EFT
In recent years however, there’s been a growing pool of undeniable research that proves that EFT produces real, lasting breakthroughs and significantly improves or even eliminates conditions that hospital treatments, medication and years of psychotherapy often fail to adequately deal with.
Studies done at Harvard Medical School verify these assertions. Research done at the prestigious university during the last decade found that the brain’s stress and fear response – which is controlled by an almond-shaped part of your brain called the amygdala – could be lessened by stimulating the meridian points used in acupuncture, acupressure, and of course, tapping.
Although these studies focused on acupuncture and as such, used needles, follow-up double-blind research revealed that stimulating the points through pressure, as we do in tapping, gave rise to a similar response!
Another exciting set of research was undertaken by Dr. Dawson Church. His team performed a randomized controlled trial to study how an hour-long tapping session would impact the stress levels of 83 subjects. To do this, Dr. Church and his team measured their level of cortisol, a hormone secreted by the body when it undergoes stress. Their findings? The average level of cortisol reduction was 24%, with a whopping reduction of almost 50% in some subjects! In comparison, there was no significant cortisol reduction in those who underwent an hour of traditional talk therapy.
Dr. Church also created The Stress Project, which teaches tapping to war veterans suffering with PTSD. The results have been astounding: an average 63% decrease in PTSD symptoms after six rounds of tapping. It’s mind-blowing and exciting research, which has converted many non-believers in the scientific community along the way.
What symptoms can EFT help to treat or manage ?
One of the best things about EFT is that it can be done anywhere, at any time, quickly and without the use of any equipment, medications or supplements.
EFT has been effective for the following:
- Reducing short-term or chronic stress
- Reducing muscular tension and joint pain
- Decreasing fatigue and boosting energy levels
- Decreasing tension headaches
- Coping with emotional problems such as low self-esteem, depression, and anxiety
- Improving athletic performance, focus and coordination
- Helping to improve sleep quality
- Weight management, addiction and eating habits
Why should you work with a Certified EFT Practitioner?
An EFT Practitioner can:
- Provide a safe space for you to explore and clear your emotions
- Often, it is hard to access painful memories and traumas while we are alone. An EFT Practitioner can help you feel safe enough to explore parts of your past you may otherwise not easily get to.
- Help you discover the core issue of a specific challenge
- EFT Practitioners can help you “get to the bottom” of why a specific issue is holding such a charge for you.
- Assist you in identifying and clearing healing blocks you may have
- These blocks are often referred to by EFT Practitioners as psychological reversals. While it is quite common to have these blocks, they can keep you from overcoming your problem, no matter how much effort you put in.
- Formulate effective EFT Tapping statements
- One of the biggest challenges for people while tapping, is to know what words to use. An EFT Practitioner will help you come up with not only a statement you resonate with, but one that will also be effective in clearing the issue.
- Keep you on track
- It is easy to go off on tapping tangents, which can make it difficult to clear the whole issue. By working with an EFT Practitioner, you can make sure you follow an issue through to the end.
No service or product is intended to treat any disease or illness, psychological or mental health condition. Any person with an ailment or physical complaint are advised to see their physician first for treatment and make use of these alternate treatments as an adjunct to their medical treatment.